Saturday 16 April 2011

The Session 9 Review


Crime scene asylum



So session 9 was recommended for me to watch, I had seen the trailer for this a while back but I was a little unsure about watching it. Directed by Brad Anderson in 2001, who also directed the great film "The Machinist"  which came after this film, I was quite interested to see one of his earlier films. The film Stars David Caruso who plays Phil, who you might better know as Lieutenant Horatio Caine in CSI Miami, and also very strange to see him without sunglasses (he really does have eyes), and Scottish actor Peter Mullan who plays Gordan. The film also features a random appearance from Paul Guilfoyle better know as Detective Brass, yes yet another CSI actor, and i was beginning to think maybe Grissom would show up at some point in the film but sadly no ( he probably wouldn't be much help anyway he would be outside looking at bugs)

                            I have appear to have forgotten my sunglasses

Ok so back to the film itself, its based on an asbestos abatement crew who win the bid for a job on an abandoned insane asylum (and I bet your thinking well I can see how this is going to go )
So most horror films today rely a lot on special effects, blood and over the top acting and this does get boring to see the same thing done over and over so this is where this film is very different. I have to admit it took me a while to get into this film and is partly due to my attention span being a bit low at the time. I love the character building in this film, as the film goes on more interesting characteristics are shown coming through each member of the team which kind of make you start to form your own assumptions, well it did for me anyway.

 The story itself is pretty simple (about the team going into do an asbestos job) but its really the backstorys and personalty of each person that really builds up the story as the film goes on. Now you might think this seems a little boring, but I personally loved the slow build up and tension throughout the film, which I think you can guess that its building up to something else, otherwise it would just be a film about how to solve an asbestos issue. The film is really about making the audience think about what is going on and what's going to happen next and what's this guy going to do and really gets you involved with characters.

In general i think the film did great for building up an atmosphere over the film, and it was pretty creepy in places but i was i guess kind of disappointed with the ending, I felt I was expecting a bit more of an explanation but maybe it was left for the audience to ponder over and I guess they felt that it added to the mystery of the film itself. I would recommend you give this at least a watch as its certainly something different to a lot of horror films out there today.


Just a quick note that i am sorry about not updating the blog as frequently, I've got a few other things going on right now, so I am going to try putting out a blog every other day for now




No comments:

Post a Comment